Video & Audio
Cardinal Peak has exceptionally deep experience in digital video, digital audio, and networked multimedia products. Our founders have worked on digital video systems since the earliest days of the digital revolution; in fact, we were involved with many of the groundbreaking early entertainment systems, and one of our founders, Mike Perkins, was an active member of the MPEG-2 committee at the time that standard was being drafted. Since the early 90s, we have continued to work at the cutting edge of digital video and digital audio systems.
Today, Cardinal Peak serves well-known customers in entertainment video, streaming audio, security and surveillance video, and military/enterprise uses of video and audio systems. We help our customers build robust, scalable systems for everything from the distribution of entertainment media to encrypted security systems.
A typical project we have designed involves an “over the top” (OTT) solution for the entertainment video space. It involves the streaming of both live and stored content using an adaptive bit rate protocol and digital rights management to protect the content. A simplified architecture for this system is shown in the diagram below.
Typical IP video system for entertainment video distribution
We are deeply experienced in utilizing the appropriate mix of codecs, streaming protocols, and digital rights management and encryption standards to achieve maximum performance under constrained hardware or networking conditions, and we can advise you as to an optimal solution for your particular requirements.
Our expertise encompasses:
- Codecs: H.265/HEVC, H.264/AVC, H.263, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, JPEG, Windows Media, WMV, VC-1, Motion Imagery, 3D video
- Adaptive bit rate protocols: HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS), MPEG-DASH, and Microsoft Smooth Streaming
- System layers: MPEG-2 Transport Streams, ISO BMFF, MPEG-4 Systems, Windows Media ASP, MPEG-2 PSI, DVB SI, ATSC PSIP, DVD formats
- Security layers: Digital Rights Management (DRM), Conditional Access, DVB Simulcrypt, SSL, AES encryption
- Network Protocols: RTP, RTSP, RTCP, ISMA, RTMP / Flash, progressive download, adaptive bit rate (ABR) streaming, UPnP
- Software frameworks: FFmpeg, GStreamer, Windows Media / DirectShow, QuickTime, Darwin Streaming Server, CUDA
- Products: Head-end equipment, video management systems, home entertainment systems, PVR, DVR, NVR, digital video recorders, IP cameras, IP set-top boxes, Blu-Ray Players
You can learn more details about our Video and Audio Practice on the following pages: